Hello,

At my previous position at a county hospital we only rerun high K (using
direct ISE) when there was a suspicion in the absence of hemolysis. If you
do rerun, how often do you get discrepant results between the first and
second run? Typically the analytical step isn’t the issue. Hemolysis,
fragile WBCs or K leaked from platelets etc are more commonly observed.
Sometimes you have a sample being unseparated for a prolonged period of
time.

If we do suspect something along this line, we either cancelled the sample
after talking to the medical team or reported the K with a comment. If the
K was elevated in the presence of hemolysis then we added a canned comment
with an estimated how much K may be elevated in relationship to the degree
of H.

Hope this helps.

Thank you.

Thomas

On Mon, Oct 22, 2018 at 9:08 AM GRAY, Yusuf (UNIVERSITY HOSPITALS OF DERBY
AND BURTON NHS FOUNDATION TRUST) <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi Helen,
>

> We set our Roche cobas 8000 systems to auto-repeat any potassium over 6.0
> mmol/L and it will do this on the same ISE module.
>

> Indices will show haemolysis and we reflex a calcium if not already
> ordered to try to identify low level EDTA contamination.
>

> Then check collection time and centrifuge time, location it was taken etc
> and check the original sample.
>

> Hope this helps
>

> Yusuf Gray
>
> Biomedical Scientist Team Manager - POCT | Pathology - Blood Sciences
>
> T: 01332 788537 | *M: 0737 938 0799*
>

> *T**ogether **E**veryone **A**chieves **M**ore*

This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry.
Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual who posts and they are solely responsible for all message content.  The ACB does not monitor posts.

ACB Web Site
http://www.acb.org.uk
Green Laboratories Work
http://www.laboratorymedicine.nhs.uk