Hello again Linas. I've been sitting on your interesting message hoping that someone else would say something, but it didn't happen. So I start with an apology for a very long delay.

These are very difficult things to think about and I'm not sure I've got anything sensible to say. Linguists in general find neural networks hard to appreciate, because

There's an alternative model which a lot of psychologists seem to like, due to Annette Karmiloff-Smith, with the name 'representational redescription': so you start with a low-level description of a phenomenon, then a higher-level description emerges which shows a different set of relations, and this process continues recursively with increasingly abstract representations. This may provide a better way of understanding how symbolic networks are realised by neurons in neural networks: instead of a single neural network mapped onto a single symbolic network, you get a series of smaller jumps in abstraction. I think that's probably more like the way linguists see things, though we tend not to explore the lowest (neural) levels.

This model would allow unsupervised learning by spotting generalisations automatically and expressing them at a more abstract level; I have no idea how to express this idea in a computer model, but it's so obvious that it may well have been done already.

I don't know whether that makes any sense.