From: Robin Long <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 18 September 2018 12:42:23
To: Terry Froy; Doidge, Matt
Subject: Re: CentOS7 Nodes not getting v6 addresses

Hi Terry,

Output attached.

Robin.

On 18/09/18 12:03, Terry Froy wrote:

Hi Robin,

First thing would be to see what your nodes are seeing with regards to router advertisement.

tcpdump -vvvv -ttt -i eth0 icmp6 and 'ip6[40] = 134' -w racapture.pcap

(change eth0 to correct interface name)

Leave it running until you have captured at least one packet, then CTRL+C and then mail the resulting file to the list or to my personal e-mail address.

Alternatively, open it with Wireshark and verify what router advertisement flags are being set - in order for DHCPv6 to be used, the 'M' flag needs to be set.

P.S. Just seen Tim's e-mail - CentOS 7 defaults to permitting DHCPv6 responses via ip6tables, so I don't think it is that - the DUID on CentOS 7 is generated based on the MAC address and the UUID of the system BIOS, at least that is what I was able to determine when building out the lab virtual machines for my WLCG IPv6 training environment I built a year or so ago and it was indeed persistent across operating system reinstallations.

P.P.S. Once we are happy that router advertisements aren't the problem, tcpdump'ing the DHCPv6 conversation between client and server would be the next logical step.

Regards,

Terry

--
Terry Froy
Cluster Systems Manager, Particle Physics