Dear all,

We have been working on a project on "Bad Data" for some time, trying to understand what problems raw data can have that impact on people's rights or the functioning of algorithms -thus impacting on everything from fundamental rights (names in Arabic badly transcribed in visas, outdated Schengen bans, etc.) to commercial profiling to everything in between (life chances, jobs, etc.). We are specifically focusing on data problems *before* algorithms kick in.

Data may be corrupted, outdated, badly inputed, misplaced, contain bias at collection, etc.

If you are working or know anyone working on similar issues of have examples, could you please let us know?

Also, if we find a couple of similar projects maybe we could organise a panel at CPDP or another relevant conference?

Please let myself or Griselda know your thoughts!

Kind regards,

Gemma Galdon Clavell, PhD

Eticas Research & Consulting - Barcelona office - www.eticasconsulting.com

Universitat de Barcelona (UB) - Security, Technology & Society

**************************************************** This is a message from the SURVEILLANCE listserv for research and teaching in surveillance studies. To unsubscribe, please send the following message to <[log in to unmask]>: UNSUBSCRIBE SURVEILLANCE For further help, please visit: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/help ****************************************************