From: Social History Curators Group email list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Conlon, Niamh
Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2018 2:26 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: disposal of dangerous items

This is an email sent via the SHCG List. If you reply to this message, your message will be sent to all the people on the list, not just the author of this message. -------------------------------

Hi Georgina,

We have had that as well and we used a large national  company who deal with chemical waste, but were lucky in that they have an office around the corner so we went straight to the local guys and they gave us a bit of one on one care. If you can find a local office of a company doing this kind of work they can send someone out to do a chemical inventory,  if you want stuff disposed of they will ask what it is and if you don’t know they need to send someone out.  Weirdly the guy we got sniffed everything which made me wonder how he was still alive, but there you go! You could ask for things to be test to figure out if they are dangerous and what they are but we were told testing gets really expensive and as ours were not part of the collection (don’t ask!) it wasn’t worth it.

They won’t save the jars which is a problem if they are accessioned. So you need to be really clear and think about if you want to keep the jars or not – as Janice suggested if you can track down a friendly local chemist they might be able to help and give you advice that doesn’t come with a price tag

Cheers,

Niamh