Dear Alastair,

I'm very pleased to be back in circulation, and shouldn't be working through my emails from the most recent, but yours caught my attention.

In March 2006, Jay Johnson covered some of your question for the Journal:

http://www.kiplingjournal.com/acrobat/KJ317.pdf

A search, using "Canadian Club" in inverted commas.gives a range of entries in the Journal, right back to July 1928.

JRK himself described the clubs:

“there is a crafty network of business men called Canadian Clubs. They catch people who look interesting, assemble their members during the mid-day lunch hour, and, tying their victim to a steak, bid him discourse on anything that he thinks he knows.”

All the best,

John

Mailtrack Sender notified by
Mailtrack 01/09/18, 07:42:07