Hi folks,

I'm hoping someone can give me some guidance. I'm in the process of redeveloping a sections file management. It's fairly basic Microsoft folder structure but it's a mess. 50-60000 files, 10000 folders, going back over 16 years. Not all of it is in use but it can suddenly become relevant.

My method of solving the migration problem was to get a second drive, make the first read only, then only migrate what is needed into the new folder structure. After a lot of fighting with IT they have agreed with the plan.

My problem is that it has been brought to my attention that there are a large number of linked files littered around the existing drive. When these are brought over to the new drive they will be broken and take days to fix.

The alternative is that we put the new structure in the existing drive and move everything currently there into an archive folder (which IT have said thyy can't make read only). But if I'm not mistaken moving any of the folders containing files with hyperlinks to other files even within the same drive will break the links.

I'm working with fairly limited resources. I have no access to any migration software that would relable the addresses of the linked data. I'm hoping that someone might be able to give me some suggestions.

Regards,
Cillian Fearon