Dear Anne

Thank you for your reply. That was the reason I asked because for some Southern African beliefs possession is very real to them. And they can be very vulnerable in many ways. Some of the “healers” will prey on them and charge huge amounts which can place the employee in financial difficulties.

I have experience of a family whose child had a degenerative muscular condition. Family worked extra shifts including moonlighting to pay for air travel and hotel accommodation for a healer to come into the country every couple of months. They were told exorcism and massage would heal this child who had severe sclerosis, contractures to all lumps, was tracheostomy dependent and mechanically ventilated. They were told the child would get up and walk within a year.

They really believed in this. No apparent harm came to the child, she had a trip to London and had a massage. Both parents eventually consented to have psychiatric treatment.

In my inexperienced very humble opinion as a student, I would say an understanding of  cultural background and belief systems can be vital to cases like this.

Kindest regards

Barbara Grohs

It was a delicate

Sent from my iPhone