In the James stories, "conjurare" means what Theresa says: "conjurer
aliquem: to conjure, to beseech with invocation of God's name". When
someone meets a ghost in these stories he or she always "conjures" them in
God's name to tell them who they are. I translated all 12 plus a few later
additions in "Medieval Popular Religion: A Reader." I'm pretty sure Andrew
Joynes translated most of them in "Medieval Ghost Stories: An Anthology of
Miracles, Marvels and Prodigies" (2006) but I can't check since all my
books are boxed up at the moment as I'm in the middle of a move. I can send
you a typescript of my translation if it would be of help.

--
John Shinners
Professor, Schlesinger Chair in Humanistic Studies Emeritus

"Learn everything. Later you will see that nothing is superfluous." -- Hugh
of St. Victor (d. 1141)