Political Studies Association, 69th Annual International Conference

15 - 17 April 2019, Nottingham Conference Centre, Nottingham Trent University

Deadline for proposals: Monday, 8 October 2018

The PSA Media and Politics Group invites members to submit paper abstracts or panel proposals for the PSA Media and Politics stream at the PSA Annual International Conference 2019.

Papers may be related to the conference theme, (Un)Sustainable Politics in a Changing World, but other topics from across the disciplinary and methodological traditions are also welcomed

Please submit abstracts and panel proposals by email to Katy Parry: [log in to unmask] by Monday 8th October (please note that this is an earlier deadline than the direct individual submission to the PSA). We also welcome emails earlier than this date to ask for our advice on potential panel proposals. Abstracts can be between 250-500 words. Panels can include up to 4 speakers and a discussant (optional). Panels with 3 speakers are also accepted.

If you wish to propose a panel, please note for following stipulations from the organising committee:

·         Panels should aim to reflect the diversity of the profession and all male panels will not be considered.

·         Paper-givers are required to register and physically attend the conference and only in exceptional circumstances will this be waived, such as for health- or mobility-related issues.

Theme and further details:

(UN)SUSTAINABLE POLITICS IN A CHANGING WORLD

The pace at which our world continues to change is difficult to comprehend, and our ability to understand and explain politics is undermined as a result. Now, perhaps more than at any time since the end of the Cold War, the sustainability of current political practices must be (re)examined.

Domestically, recent political controversies related to gender inequality, sexual or racial abuse, misuse of personal data, and financial mismanagement, raise critical questions about the durability of political practices. The continuing impact of Brexit, also presents further challenges to our polity and geographical borders.

Globally, uncertainty abounds: how has the emergence of populist movements and authoritarianism affected relationships across Europe and within the EU? How is U.S. unilateralism under President Trump affecting international relations and multilateral frameworks? How do we navigate the potential threats that escalating trade wars and the rise of economic nationalism across the world bring, and how will personal freedoms continue to be eroded in the name of combating terrorism?

We are also faced with an increasingly complex relationship with the natural world. Climate change mitigation is faltering, depletion of the ozone has worsened, and we are in the midst of the Anthropocene Extinction (or sixth era of mass extinction) demonstrated by the most rapid loss of biodiversity in the planet’s history. Given these stresses to our well-being and development we must consider whether current political institutions and practices are sustainable or whether significant (perhaps even radical) change in the way we organise ourselves and relate to other communities is upon us.

Possible areas include:

·         Disinformation and its threat to democratic health

·         New challenges for the evolving relationships between politicians and the media

·         The media’s changing role in political communication practices and/or public diplomacy

·         The media’s role in reporting terrorism

·         Identifying discourses of authoritarianism/populism/racism

·         Regulation possibilities for social media platforms

·         Spaces for minority voices or alternative media in the political sphere

·         Climate change and the media

·         Activism and the media

·         The power of political satire, cartoons and memes

·         The politics of representation across media genres

·         The role of political communication scholars in a changing world

Further information on registration fees and conference location can be found here:

https://www.psa.ac.uk/conference/psa-annual-international-conference-2019

Dr Katy Parry,

Associate Professor in Media and Communication; Programme Leader for Political Communication MA

Room 2.05

School of Media and Communication

Clothworkers' Building North

University of Leeds