Dear Friends and Colleagues,

Psychoanalysis, nationalism, ideology – Gdansk/Sopot 5th-7th October 2018

The programme for this event is closed and about to be advertised but we still have a few places for non-speaking participants. Our speakers come from 15 countries including the UK, Poland and Scandinavia but also India, USA, Turkey, France, Macedonia, Slovenia, Zimbabwe and others.  If you would like to join us, please email myself or Ben Tyrer below. This promises to be an exciting and highly productive meeting.

This symposium is organised and funded by the BAFTSS Psychoanalysis SIG and the NSU Psychoanalysis in Our Time Research circle (funded by the Nordic Council of Ministers) in association with the University of Gdansk.

As you may know our keynote speakers are the notable philosopher and psychoanalyst Professor Alenka Zupancic and  notable film scholar Professor Thomas Elsaesser. Their presentations’ titles are respectively: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself!? ‘and  ‘The Ideologies and Ethics of Proximity: Neighbours, Guests and Strangers".  I will be presenting a preview of a new film introduced by Professor Miroslaw Przylipiak of Gdansk University who will also be discussing challenges of international collaborations and translations.

All lunches, coffees and cookies, are included in your registration fee. As many of you know, we have an excellent track record with publications inspired by these meetings.

The registration fee is £145, or £75 for students. We can offer some bursaries. There will be no parallel sessions as we aim to provide a true small working group.

Our conference hotel is in Sopot on the beach in a modern 3/4 star hotel with inexpensive accommodation and state of the art conference facilities. One of the days will be spent at the brand new conference centre of the Gdansk University which is not far from our hotel.

Please note that we aim to create a productive atmosphere of fun as well as collegiality and to this effect we have one dinner with wine included in the registration fee and one drinks party.

Do join us!

(http://psychoanalysisinourtime.wordpress.com

Best wishes,

Dr. Agnieszka Piotrowska

Reader in Film Practice and Theory

Course Leader MA/MSc Digital Film

University of Bedfordshire

 LU1 3JU, UK

Senior Fellow of Higher Education Academy

https://agnieszka-piotrowska.com/

 https://www.escapethemovie.net/

https://loversintime.wordpress.com

http://marecherathemovie.com

www.thinkingfilms.one

BAFTSS Board Member

 http://www.baftss.org

CFP:
Psychoanalysis in Our Time 2018 – Psychoanalysis, Nationalism andIdeology, Sopot/Gdansk, Poland, 5th-7th October 2018

Now in its fifth year – and following the great success of sessions across Europe – the Psychoanalysis in Our Time research network is delighted to announce the call for papers for our next event, which
will take place in association with the University of Gdansk, Poland from 5th to 7th October
2018. The topic for this symposium will be “Psychoanalysis, Nationalism andIdeology”.

This research initiative funded by the Nordic Council of Ministers
 and supported by the British Association of Film, Television and Screen Studies aims to initiateand develop trans-disciplinary conversations. We believe in deep and ardent discussions in sessions and over meals and wine – which will be flowing freely. We have published a first edited collection stemming from meetings in Copenhagen and Tallinn, entitled Psychoanalysis and The Unrepresentable: from Culture to the Clinic (Routledge, 2016), and are currently working on a second collection, Psychoanalysis and Femininity, due for publication with Routledge next year.

Please send an abstract (max. 300 words)
 and a short biographical statement to the organisers/coordinators of the research groups: Agnieszka Piotrowska ([log in to unmask]), Ben Tyrer ([log in to unmask])