Agree, they are great. Also what's interesting about Orkney Library twitter acct is that their irreverent, funny tone-of-voice was cultivated by a guy called Stewart Bain, back when an organisation having an informal approach was still fairly unheard of (I've still got a video that Twitter produced about him/the account, in about 2008, as an example of 'how to do Twitter'). He left a couple of years ago and often that means that the tone-of-voice goes with it but the other staff have really picked up the mantle.

Katie

On Tue, Sep 25, 2018 at 1:23 PM Sim, Sheila <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
I like Rob MacFarlane too, but one of the best Twitter accounts is Orkney Library - @OrkneyLibrary. It's completely hilarious - I highly recommend it.

Sheila

-----Original Message-----
From: Museums Computer Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kate Smith
Sent: 25 September 2018 11:56
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Digital comms and twitter/instagram greatness

Hi Andrew,

Ah, I do follow Rob MacFarlane (after a while the effect wears off a bit on twitter, but I've liked his measured pantheism and also read a few of his books. I try not to fawn too much! ;-)

The 'why do you want more liveliness' bit is actually easy to answer -- lots of people doing useful professional work internationally, loads of them following a near-zombie account which doesn't do much -- they'd all benefit from talking more to each other, networking and sharing good practice >>> the sum of good in the world will be increased. So, in a way that isn't always the case on social media, I'm seeking a bit of fizz to promote a solid good, rather than because that's what everyone does. Much as LinkedIn is an obvious professional venue in theory (and we're doing some research about where people 'live' on social media) - in practice I suspect people are on twitter and FB because they are more fun.

Cheers,
Kate

       website:  http://museumscomputergroup.org.uk/
       Twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/ukmcg
      Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/museumscomputergroup
 [un]subscribe:  http://museumscomputergroup.org.uk/email-list/

Email Disclaimer - East Lothian Council
the sender and ensure it is deleted and not read copied or disclosed
to anyone else. It is your responsibility to scan this email and any
attachments for computer viruses or other defects. East Lothian
Council do not accept liability for any loss or damage which may
result from this email or any files attached. Email is not secure and
can be intercepted, corrupted or amended without the knowledge of the
sender. East Lothian Council do not accept liability for errors or
omissions arising as a result of interrupted or defective transmission.

       website:  http://museumscomputergroup.org.uk/
       Twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/ukmcg
      Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/museumscomputergroup
 [un]subscribe:  http://museumscomputergroup.org.uk/email-list/