Hi all

A friend who is curator of photography at St Andrews University is
organising their month-long festival of photography in October, and
specifically a two-day conference on stereo photography - see
https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/library/specialcollections/news/archive/2018/title,2234206,en.php

It got me thinking about examples of digital delivery of these Victorian
stereoviews/stereographs (the ones, in their original analogue state, with
the double images that are typically viewed through a handheld or desktop
twin-lens wooden viewer -
https://www.vam.ac.uk/blog/caring-for-our-collections/stereographs) and I
wondered if anyone has examples of innovative ways of displaying them, be
it online or in-gallery?

Examples I can immediately think of are:

- simple animated gifs that alternate the left and right images to simulate
the effect (otherwise known as wiggling!) - the NYPL still imho leads the
field in this with their Stereogranimator where users make the animations
from the 20,000+ collection of images in the NYPL collections, or they can
use their own images on Flickr -  http://stereo.nypl.org/view/94357

- in-gallery analogue viewers but with a digital screen running a slideshow
(IWM has done this, and I've seen something similar in a few other places
like the maritime museum in Barcelona)

- full blown projections that require use of dedicated glasses

- bespoke apps / interactives where either the museum supplies the viewing
device or the user needs to have there own headset

What I'm especially interested in is anything that has a pretty low barrier
to entry, is accessible (in the broadest sense) to as many people as
possible, is scalable in terms of image sets, and has a very simple user
experience - for example using a mobile and a viewing device like Google
Cardboard to display a simple gallery/slideshow that is controlled by head
gestures. Of course it should also be both iOS and Android compatible as a
minimum. Either open source software that could be adapted, or a free
platform that could have a custom image set added to it.

Anyone seen anything great out there?

Aside from this, she's also having a hard job promoting the festival and
conference, given limited time and money (and being banned from setting up
any official social media accounts herself) so any help/suggestions
promoting it, even through a simple tweet and link to
https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/library/specialcollections/news/archive/2018/title,2234206,en.php
, would be much appreciated!

Cheers, James

---