Call for papers: The Material Culture of Urban Schools

Session at the International Medieval Congress, Leeds, 1-4 July 2019

The cathedral schools and the universities that developed from them were
necessarily urban phenomena. Masters and students lived in, preached in,
ate, fought and partied in the city. This session aims to explore the
material intersection of the urban environment and the schools. We welcome
papers from all disciplines that address such questions as location or
mechanics of teaching or preaching; production and circulation of
manuscripts; provisioners and suppliers of food and materials to the
schools; shops and taverns; students' and masters' housing; urban properties
owned by the schools; etc.

Please send abstracts of no more than 100 words by Sept 25 to:

Theresa Gross-Diaz: [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>  and Martin
Schwarz: [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Villa I Tatti Term Fellowships 2019/20

Villa I Tatti, The Harvard University Center for Italian Renaissance Studies
in Florence, is now accepting fellowship applications for the 2019-2020
academic year.

I Tatti Fellowship (one year; deadline: October 15) for post-doctoral
research in any aspect of the Italian Renaissance broadly understood
historically to include the period from the 14th to the 17th century, and
geographically to include transnational dialogues between Italy and other
cultures (e.g. Latin American, Mediterranean, African, Asian etc.).

Wallace Fellowship (four or six months; deadline November 15) for
post-doctoral scholars who explore the historiography and impact of the
Italian Renaissance in the Modern Era (19th-21st centuries).

Berenson Fellowship (four or six months; deadline November 15) for
post-doctoral scholars who explore "Italy in the World." Projects should
address the transnational dialogues between Italy and other cultures (e.g.
Latin American, Mediterranean, African, Asian etc.) during the Renaissance,
broadly understood historically to include the period from the 14th to the
17th century.

Digital Humanities Fellowship (four or six months; deadline November 15) for
projects that cut across traditional disciplinary boundaries and actively
employ digital technology. Applicants can be scholars in the humanities or
social sciences, librarians, archivists, and data science professionals.
Projects should apply digital technologies such as mapping, textual
analysis, visualization, or the semantic web to topics on any aspect of the
Italian Renaissance.

Villa I Tatti - Boğaziçi University Joint Fellowship (one year; deadline
November 15) for post-doctoral research focusing on the interaction between
Italy and the Byzantine Empire (ca. 1300 to ca. 1700). Scholars will spend a
semester at Villa I Tatti and a semester at the Byzantine Studies Research
Center of Boğaziçi University.

Craig Hugh Smyth Fellowship (four or six months; deadline November 15) for
curators and conservators. Projects can address any aspect of the Italian
Renaissance art or architecture, including landscape architecture.

David and Julie Tobey Fellowship (four or six months; deadline November 15)
for research on drawings, prints, and illustrated manuscripts from the
Italian Renaissance, and especially the role that these works played in the
creative process, the history of taste and collecting, and questions of
connoisseurship.

For more information on all fellowships at Villa I Tatti please visit
http://itatti.harvard.edu/fellowships

To apply click here: https://itatti.slideroom.com/#/login