Colleagues,

The WGS-84 spatial reference system (or datum) is one of many such systems in existence.  However, as it is the one used by the U.S. government  to describe GPS coordinates - and all of its other military positioning, navigating and mapping activities, WGS-84 (and its updates) has been ubiquitous for a few decades now.

I note that most countries or continents have their own spatial reference systems in place, and each GNSS constellation has its own as well.

Best regards,
Sunil

Sunil Bisnath PhD PEng   |   Associate Professor   |   Geomatics Engineering
Dept of Earth & Space Science & Engineering   |   Lassonde School of Engineering
129 Petrie Science & Engineering Building   |   York University   |   4700 Keele St   |   Toronto, Ontario, Canada   M3J 1P3
[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>  | www.yorku.ca/sbisnath <http://www.yorku.ca/sbisnath>  | lassonde.yorku.ca <http://lassonde.yorku.ca/>  | T: 416.736.2100 x20556  |  F: 416.736.5817