I have only skim read but it is an excellent piece of work.

CEO of Woodland Trust spoke at the GEM conference, mainly as a case study on growth and organisational leadership, but I would advocate on behalf of more museums making the link between themselves and the natural world (obvs I'm talking about those that do not explicitly have natural science collections).

Woodland and timber played a huge role in social history (trees don't fell and mill themselves you know...). We almost lost WWI due to a lack of timber. We are still paying the price for WWI deforestation, and subsequent planting of monoculture pine forests, to this day. There are many archaeological sites set within woodland.I';m guessing you all have wooden objects in your collections? What species is it? Where did it come from? What was life like when it was first felled?

I can put GEM members in touch with their nearest Woodland Trust contact of course, but the same goes for any environmental organisation. Museums just need to create some time and space to think outside the box (not easy, I appreciate).

Anyway, got to go, my hobbyhorse needs feeding...