Very important point –thanks.

Dr Dea Birkett
Ringmaster

From: "List for discussion of issues in museum education in the UK." <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Ashleigh Hibbins <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wednesday, 12 September 2018 11:52
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: concessions for disabled visitors and/or their carers

Hi Trizia and GEM,

Regarding terminology, I recently went to an arts and access training session (from the fantastic organisation Attitude is Everything - http://www.attitudeiseverything.org.uk/), and the trainer emphasised that ‘Personal Assistant’ is preferable and more inclusive than ‘carer’.

Many disabled people don’t need to be cared for in the traditional sense, they just might require assistance with certain tasks. Personal Assistant covers all bases, including people with actual carers.

Hope this helps and best of luck with your review,

Ashleigh

Ashleigh Hibbins
Learning & Participation Consultant

020 7367 0817

ashleigh.hibbins@theaudienceagency.org
www.theaudienceagency.org
Twitter icon
@audienceagents

Postal address: The Audience Agency, 2nd Floor, 35 – 47 Bethnal Green Road, London, E1 6LA

cid:image002.png@01D2C4EC.6FAFE4D0