I think i've figured out what the problem was: I tried to do one-sample t-tests from the design matrix above. If now instead I only use the design matrix for doing between-group t-tests and run the one-sample t-tests separately with the -1 option for randomise this work. I was just assuming it would also work in one large contrast design matrix to get randomise to do both (like FLAME does). but happy it's working now :)