FMRIB Centre
John Radcliffe Hospital
University of Oxford

On 2 Sep 2018, at 03:38, chenhf_uestc <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Hi, Matthew

Yes, my design matrix has three columns, and I just would like to demean the last column (age). So, I must manually demean age column rather than using "-D" option, right?
If the "-D" option is to demean all the columns separately, when should I use this option? Could you give me an example?
In the command randomise: -D demean data temporally before model fitting ( demean model as well if required ). By default, this option is just demean the data (the dependent variable)? Or demean the data and design matrix (model, independent variable) simultaneously? "demean model as well if required", I think, by default, it just demean the data; and if I want to demean the model at the meantime, I should add additional option to implement it, right?

Best,
Feng

发件人:Matthew Webster <[log in to unmask]>
发送时间:2018-08-24 23:54
主题:Re: [FSL] How to mean centering covariate in the design matrix in FSL
收件人:"FSL"<[log in to unmask]>
抄送:

Hello Feng,

1) “Temporally” means across subjects - since we use the 4th NIFTI dimension to refer to subjects. Demeaning the model refers to removing the column-wise mean from your design.

2) The two methods you have tried here are not equivalent, I suspect you just want to _only_ demean the third-column in your design, in which case the -D option is not going to be helpful here.

Hope this helps,
Kind Regards
Matthew
Dr Matthew Webster