From: "[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>" <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> on behalf of Rod Jackson <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Date: Saturday, 22 September 2018 at 03:41
To: "[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>" <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Subject: Re: Removing. SR from the evidence hierarchy

Hi Craig. In my opinion, it’s time to get rid of all evidence hierarchies. While they had a role early on in the development of EBM, they are simplistic and often wrong.

For example it is impossible to undertake a good long term RCT of, say, high versus low dietary saturated fat with CHD as the outcome. There is so much noncompliance/crossover/contamination over a period of, say 5 years, that its completely unsurprising that the trials either show no effect or very small effects. It’s hard enough to get even modest compliance in a long term double blind placebo controlled trial of a low dose drug without meaningful side effects. Why researchers have believed they could do a long term dietary trial is difficult to understand, although many have tried.

Long term cohort studies are even worse (eg PURE, just published in the Lancet) because as well as having the same problem I mention above for RCTs, they suffer badly from misclassification of exposure (most people are unable to tell you what they usually eat with any degree of accuracy) and they are seriously confounded (middle class health conscious people like me eat a Mediterranean diet).

So the two theoretically highest quality types of studies for determining the effects of interventions should be near the bottom of any evidence hierarchy for the question ‘does a diet high in saturated fat cause CHD?’ along with any SRs of such studies.

In many situations RCTs (and SRs of high quality RCTs) are the most appropriate type of study to answer a question, in others cohort studies are the most appropriate, and in others economic or qualitative studies may be the most appropriate. It depends completely on the question.

I believe we now do our students, our colleagues and the public far more harm than good by promoting evidence hierarchies.

My friend and colleague Professor Nick Wald uses the analogy of a carpenter’s tool belt. Carpenters don’t have a hierarchy of tools. If they want to nail two pieces of wood together, they use a hammer, but if they want to cut a piece of wood in two, they use a saw.

Regards Rod Jackson

Professor of Epidemiology
University of Auckland
New Zealand