Dear colleagues and friends,

please see below the call from colleagues from the Bulgarian Academy of
Science who ask for our help to battle against an assault on their academic
freedom to pursue a research project on gender education in schools.
Despite the successful bid, the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences and the
Ministry of Education and Science have banned the project from
implementation because it 'spread gender ideology'. Colleagues have also
been humiliated by the Bulgarian media. This happened days after the
Bulgarian government which initially ratified the Istanbul Convention
offering policy reforms against gender-based violence, backed up under
pressure from conservative and nationalist circles, and decided not to sign
the convention. More on the case you can read here
<http://www.criticatac.ro/lefteast/bulgarian-academy-of-sciences-researchers-on-the-campaign-against-a-project-on-gender-equality/>
and
the broader context of the debate in Bulgaria here
<http://www.criticatac.ro/lefteast/it-was-never-about-the-istanbul-convention/>
.

The plea is for everyone who can to write a letter to the head of the
Academy of Science and the Ministry of Education and Science to continue
dialogue and support for the project.
A draft letter is at the bottom of this message (in bold) - please use
these addresses and feel free to reword it to suit your message or that of
your organisation.
Thank you in advance for your support.

Best wishes, Mariya

*Addresses for letters:Prof. Julian RevalskiPresident of the Bulgarian
Academy of [log in to unmask]
<[log in to unmask]><mailto:[log in to unmask]
<[log in to unmask]>>Mr. Krasimir ValchevMinister of Education and
ScienceRepublic of [log in to unmask]
<[log in to unmask]><mailto:[log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>>  *

******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Dear colleagues,

We would like to inform you that our project "Forum for gender balanced
model at school: the Bulgarian case", nominated in the first phase of
UNESCO's Participation Programme 2018-2019 was blocked by the Bulgarian
Academy of Sciences (BAS), after political pressure from government
officials (Ministry of Education and Sciences) and the media. Тhe project
imposes "gender ideology" and will never run through BAS, the vice deputy
of BAS, Vasil Nikolov, said. Since the project promotes "gender ideology"
it is incompatible with the Bulgarian Constitution, the allegations
continued. Indeed, a few weeks ago the Bulgarian Constitutional Court
declared the Istanbul Convention "unconstitutional" as it "imposes a view
that there is sex different than the biological sex". We are sending you
our official Statement in response to these violent attacks. This Statement
is published in Bulgarian and English.
Inspired by the so called "anti-gender campaigns", precisely investigated
in the book "Anti-gender campaigns in Europe" (2017), the anti-gender
campaigners are targeting social activists and scholars who deal with
gender and LGBTQI issues, labelling them as "foreign agents", " servants of
evil", "liberal paid traitors" to name a few. This context puts the value
of social sciences and, particularly, gender disciplines in serious danger.
The work of the German writer Gabriele Kuby, "The global sexual revolution"
is now cited as the only credible scientific source of information.
Replacing credible sources of scientific literature with clearly
ideological and religiously driven books seriously undermines the efforts
of many scholars and the scientific tradition across the globe. In this
situation we are calling now for solidarity and cooperation in order to
overcome these challenges.
Right now, we really need you support. Please, inform the relevant sections
in your institutions and share with your networks. Furthermore, we would
highly appreciate if you can support us with an official statement
addressed to the Bulgarian Ministry of Education, the Bulgarian Academy of
Sciences (addresses below) and media outlets, confirming that gender
studies are a legitimate field of science and indeed a very important one
nowadays. We really hope the situation in Bulgaria in both fields - gender
equality and academic freedom - will be discussed and made public in order
to prevent further dangerous actions as those in Hungary, where the current
government proposed to ban gender studies programs at the universities.
Lastly, please do not refer to our names regarding the sources of this
information as we have been under a very harsh pressure coming from
conservative media and colleagues who share the views of the "anti-gender
campaigners".

I remain at your disposal for any further information concerning this issue.

Sincerely yours, Dr Shaban Darakchi
**

STATEMENT
We, the authors of the project "Forum for gender balanced model at school:
the Bulgarian case", which was nominated in the first phase of UNESCO's
Participation Programme 2018-2019, hereby declare:

Over the last few days our project proposal and we personally as its
authors became target of media campaign following the unlawful leakage of
the project concept note. The goals of the project were misrepresented, the
project accused of peddling "gender ideology", of attempting to propagate a
"third sex", to "brainwash children" etc.
As social scientists and outstanding researchers in their field, we are
compelled to reply to these accusations in good faith. The goal of our
project is to research teacher competence and motivation to uphold and
instil in their students the principle of gender equality. We were led by
the conviction that knowledge of the everyday problems faced by educators
is necessary when implementing working strategies in the spirit of UNESCO's
Gender Equality Action Plan 2014-2021 and its Major Programme 2
"Education". These goals are in sync with Bulgaria's National Strategy for
Encouraging Equality between Men and Women 2016-2020 and the Law on
Equality between Women and Men as published in the State Gazette, issue 33,
26.04.2016. It follows that they should also be in sync with the policies
of the Bulgarian Ministry of Education and Sciences.
The slanderous media campaign has terminated our participation in the
programme competition and the fact was declared a "success" by the authors
of this shameful action.
Obviously, as on previous occasions, the term "gender" is the scarecrow
meant to mobilize popular support. It is a globally accepted scientific
term for everyone studying the relations between men and women. In the
course of the past few months, the term was presented to Bulgarian society
in a manipulative way. Does this all mean that from now on everyone who
dares to research gender themes such as equality, discrimination, violence,
unequal pay, etc., will be ostracized?
In our view this is a very serious case of censorship, where academic
freedom is brutally suppressed. At a time when we speak of "Science and
education for smart growth", we were presented as a mortal threat to
Bulgaria's schools, as "gender agents" endangering Bulgarian children.
As members of the academic community we believe that we must defend our
freedom to select research fields in compliance with academic standards,
ethical norms and current legislation. We must resist being victimized and
subjected to witch hunts.
The attack on our project has provided a new opportunity to proclaim the
scientists at the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences as redundant and
expendable. We wonder who it is that stands to benefit from all this.
Sofia, 3 August 2018
Miladina Monova, Ana Luleva, Albena Nakova, Shaban Darakchi

***************************************************************************************************************************************

* DRAFT LETTER*

* September, Prof. Julian Revalski President of the Bulgarian Academy of
Sciences [log in to unmask]
<[log in to unmask]><mailto:[log in to unmask]
<[log in to unmask]>> Mr. Krasimir Valchev Minister of Education and
Science Republic of Bulgaria [log in to unmask]
<[log in to unmask]><mailto:[log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>> Dear Prof.
Revalski, Dear Mr Valchev, *
*It has come to or attention that a project prepared by Bulgarian
colleagues entitled "Forum for gender balanced model at school: the
Bulgarian case", which was nominated in the first phase of UNESCO's
Participation Programme 2018-2019, was banned by the Bulgarian Academy of
Sciences and the Ministry of Education and Science in early August 2018
without consultations with the project team. As a result of this our
colleagues were publically humiliated by certain media.*

* As we understand that there might be some misunderstanding regarding the
project we would like to express our support for the research team,
guaranteeing that gender research explore the social aspects of masculinity
and femininity in society paying attention to different social, cultural,
political and economic forces which influence the social attitudes and
notions towards men and women. Gender studies is a credible scientific
field in the world and it has produced valuable research results tackling
different forms of oppression, discrimination and violence in the
societies. Having in mind the ongoing attacks against academic research and
scholars dealing with gender studies in Europe and beyond we are concern
about the academic freedom and the right of our colleagues to investigate
significant topics related to gender. Hereby, based on the research done we
declare that the term "gender ideology" is a made-up concept without any
scientific value aiming to sabotage women and LGBT rights and it is used
manipulatively in many campaigns. *

*(The name of the platform you would like to use) is.......(consist
of...members) and we are devoted to investigate and analyze the ..... and
we encourage you to initiate a dialogue with the project team about their
activities which hopefully will produce further initiatives and produce
knowledge needed for the Bulgarian public policies and contribute to the
social sciences on a global level.*