Dear all

Opinions on this scenario welcomed - we're circling on this one.

Andrew comes to see Student Services as he is worried about Barbara, who has an eating disorder and she shouts at him when he tries to address it with her.  She is becoming dangerously thin.  Andrew does not want Barbara to know he has been to speak to anyone.  At this point the person dealing in Student Services may decide that they need to intervene or provide advice to Andrew about what he needs to know.

If we record this on Barbara’s record:  We can be sure that other Student Services staff are aware of the concern e.g. if another concern were to come in, it can help form part of a picture and inform the need for escalation.

If we don’t:  we may miss something when the next event happens and this may be detrimental.

The concern:  if we record it on Barbara’s record and she made a DSAR, would she be entitled to see the concern about her on her record (and that Andrew raised).

We already know that we are not allowed to redact the note about Andrews concern (although we can redact the name, the context may reveal Andrew indirectly).

Suggestions on the best way of either exempting disclosure, or an appropriate working method to record the concern in a way that disclosure under DSAR would not put Andrew at risk, would be appreciated.
Replies either to group or myself at [log in to unmask] would be great.
Happy weekend!!

All user commands can be found at https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/help/subscribers/subscribercommands.html