Hi James

I think if guests are actively choosing to use the photo booth with the alumni then there is a consent there and you do not need to worry about those photos (unless you plan to use them for any reason).

Photos of the ceremony itself is an interesting one – and something we have been considering for events/visits etc. generally, for large events where the photograph is focused on the event overall as opposed an individual within the crowd then we are relying on suitable signage making people aware photographs are being taken and for an individual to make themselves known if they do not wish to appear in photos. I think very much the intended subject matter of the photograph will determine if the data can be considered personal or not. Where you take a photo of the empty stage for example and someone happens to be in the background of the shot I would not class this, but if you take a photo of that person then I would.

Option 2 will not be considered a freely given consent (because attendance is conditional on them providing it) so I do not believe this will work.

If you are planning on taking smaller group/individual shots of audience members and plan on using those images for marketing or promotional purposes then having alumni and attendees signing a consent form at registration (option 3) would also make sense to ensure this is collected.

At the Library, we use a mix of 1 and 3. Hope that helps.

Kind regards

James

________________________________

James Courthold