Dear Peter, Tom,

From the perspective of someone learning to drive in the early 60s in England and taking the test in a 1949, 2.5l Daimler, I’d say that a series of aspects is under-considered. Generally, that is!

Cars and other motor vehicles have developed hugely (brilliantly even) and the agility, responsiveness, fuel consumption and comfort of (my car) most cars is unbelievably ‘better’ 50+ years later.

After taking my test I had the chance in the mid 60s to drive an ordinary Mini 850. It felt like a racing car, so transformed was the car from my Daimler.

Later I owned a Mk1 Cortina estate. My growing family and a habit of camping created the need for the ‘large’ car. (Which now looks like a toy car!). This car had rather plain, unshaped, plastic covered seats which meant clinging to the steering wheel if you cornered or stopped too quickly. I then opted to fit seat belts which were not obligatory for some years. I recall vividly how, strapping myself in using the aircraft style buckle, I was now able to corner more quickly and even comfortably ... using this supposed ‘safety aid’!

And, regarding infrastructure and space on the road, the vehicle fleet has grown in width and height over 50 years. I recall a stat that the Ford Escort ‘grew’ c40% wider in its 40 year production run. In the UK this growth and the relatively unchanged road widths will inevitably result in less space available for people cycling. People whose spatial demands (excluding Bakfiets etc) have changed little.

There has been no commensurate, balancing ‘costs’ imposed on drivers of these larger, faster, vehicles with massive, passive, passenger safety improvements.

It’s surprising that ... anyone cycles in these changes conditions!

Graham

Sent from my iPhone

Graham Paul Smith, Urban Design
5 Western Road