Hi Ian

Yes I realized that too.  But the way he formulated it was rather
ambiguous so I still posted that. (But using "appears to reflect" )

By the way, attached is the first of the Chimera type programs from 35
years back...

Cheers

Marin

On 10/09/2018 07:58, Ian Tickle wrote:

> [...]
> referring to the map _contours_  (which is what most people using a
> map visualisation program like Coot actually see).  So the contoured
> map does represent an iso-potential surface.  I'm sure Pavel is aware
> that the original cryo-EM maps are 3-dimensional objects.
>
> Cheers
>
> -- Ian
>
> On Mon, 10 Sep 2018 at 10:49, Marin van Heel
> <mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:
>

>     Unfortunately,
>
>     The problem here lies primarily in the answer given,  not so much
>     in the question asked by a newcomer:
>
>     "1) In cryo-EM maps are not electron density maps but surfaces
>     representing electric potential. "
>
>     The answer appears to reflect the widespread misunderstanding that
>     EM images (and hence cryo-EM maps) only show the surfaces not the
>     internal density of the complexes we study.
>     In my Imperial College/Leiden University  lecture notes, I have
>     always used the below slide to illustrate this point.
>
>     Cheers,
>
>     Marin
>

>     On 10/09/2018 01:38, Pavel Afonine wrote:
>>     Hi,
>>
>>         Is there any sever available to create electron density maps
>>         for cryo-em structures?
>>

>>     The questions are nonsensical. Here is why:
>>
>>     1) In cryo-EM maps are not electron density maps but surfaces
>>     representing electric potential.
>>
>>     2) Creating such a map is essentially carrying on from cryo-EM
>>     experiment and obtaining the 3D reconstruction.
>>
>>     Are you really sure about what you are asking for?
>>
>>         Or, we should create the maps from mmCIF.
>>

>>     mmCIF is a file format. It may contain representations of
>>     rabbits, boysenberries or some diffraction data. So.. how you
>>     think it may be related to cryo-EM, in your particular case?
>>
>>         I am particularly interested in those cryo-em structures with
>>         high resolution, like 2.6~2.8A.
>>

>>     Sure, all are excited about high-res cryo-EM!!!
>>
>>         Please give me an education.
>>

>>     Sure. One of available universities can do this.
>>
>>     Cheers,
>>     Pavel

>     --
>     ==============================================================
>
>          Prof Dr Ir Marin van Heel
>
>          Laboratório Nacional de Nanotecnologia - LNNano
>          CNPEM/LNNano, Campinas, Brazil
>
>          Skype:  Marin.van.Heel
>          email:  marin.vanheel(A_T)gmail.com <http://gmail.com>
>                  marin.vanheel(A_T)lnnano.cnpem.br <http://lnnano.cnpem.br>
>          and:    mvh.office(A_T)gmail.com <http://gmail.com>
>
>     --------------------------------------------------
>          Emeritus Professor of Cryo-EM Data Processing
>          Leiden University
>     --------------------------------------------------
>          Emeritus Professor of Structural Biology
>          Imperial College London
>          Faculty of Natural Sciences
>          email: m.vanheel(A_T)imperial.ac.uk <http://imperial.ac.uk>

     Prof Dr Ir Marin van Heel

     Laboratório Nacional de Nanotecnologia - LNNano

     tel:    +55-19-3518-2316
     mobile  +55-19-983455450 (current)
     mobile  +55-19-981809332
                  (041-19-981809332 TIM)
     Skype:  Marin.van.Heel
     email:  marin.vanheel(A_T)gmail.com
             marin.vanheel(A_T)lnnano.cnpem.br
     and:    mvh.office(A_T)gmail.com

     Emeritus Professor of Cryo-EM Data Processing
     Leiden University
     Mobile NL: +31(0)652736618 (ALWAYS ACTIVE SMS)