I know nothing of the Villanelle but this seems fine and obnoxious.

Luke

On Tue, 11 Sep 2018 at 01:26, jesse <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Villanelle

The old should be honored for going away
With their broken-up looks and their misfiring minds
While the new impresarios program and play.

One may stop to suggest that diminishing clay
Could, in fact, conceal treasures of various kinds.
But the old should be honored for going away.

“Those once bold precursors who pointed the way
“To the codes now perfected; the apps now refined!”:
Wise loungers in sunshine opine as they play:

“Forerunners—dear to us--why must they stay
“Locked behind shutters; immured behind blinds?
“The old should be honored for going away.

“Blest childhood enrichers, do not delay
“The logic of harvests, the pruning of vines,
“We blossoming technocrats, smile when we say--

“You struggled to win, lived your lives, had your day
“For you, we’ll build websites, much better than shrines.
"The old should be honored for going away..."
Say the gifted and glad of it--lords of today.

Jesse