Unfortunately they are not available at all post offices, as I have just tried!!

On Friday, 14 September 2018, 15:41:13 BST, MSherwood <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

The Voice (on line) 14/9/2018

Pioneering black footballer gets stamp of approval

Walter Tull featured on a new Royal stamp - the first black footballer to do so

http://www.voice-online.co.uk/sites/default/files/imagecache/455/tully_0.jpg

Image Text:

HONOURED: Walter Tull

A BLACK FOOTBALL pioneer has been depicted on a new Royal Mail stamp.

Walter Tull was one of the first black footballers to play the game in England.
But he was also the first mixed-race army officer to command troops in a regular unit, at the rank of Second Lieutenant.

Tull has been now been honoured for his military service as part of the Royal Mail’s commemorative programme to release stamps marking the centenary of the First World War.

Each year of the war has been explored though stamps covering six key themes: poppy, poetry, portrait, art, memorials and artefacts. The stamps form a beautiful and poignant collection which ttingly commemorates the world-changing conflict.

Away from the battle eld, Tull is also remembered as a pioneer as an English professional footballer of Afro- Caribbean descent.

He played for Clapton, Tottenham Hotspur and Northampton Town and was the third person of mixed heritage to play in the top division of the Football League.

Tull’s great nieces and nephews said: “We are honoured that this Royal Mail stamp is commemorating our great uncle Walter Tull, who died tragically 100 years ago during the First World War.

“While it is a time, for us as a family, to remember respectfully the death of our great uncle in such a terrible war, like so many others, we are also proud of his accomplishments.

“Walter’s life and achievements have been acknowledged and celebrated in a variety of ways for over 20 years. Many of these activities and projects concern challenging and overcoming inequality and discrimination.

“While this year of centenary may provide a particular spotlight on Walter’s story and life, we hope that Walter’s example will continue to encourage and promote projects that support inclusion and equality.”

The stamps are available from Post Offices nationwide now.

www.voice-online.co.uk/article/pioneering-black-footballer-gets-stamp-approval?utm_source=The+Voice+Daily+Newsletter&utm_campaign=d43e141aaf-RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_c981bce7d4-d43e141aaf-162745733

To unsubscribe from the BASA list, click the following link:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=BASA&A=1