Hi Michele

This came up not long ago, if you want to check the list archive.

We’ve had several users with guide dogs (we also have a permanent member of staff who brings his guide dog to work – Major is one of our most popular colleagues J) – they are never a problem. At least one of them was so unobtrusive, we kept forgetting she was there: just curled up under the desk and went to sleep.

Genuine, formally trained and registered assistance animals shouldn’t ever be an issue: if in doubt, ask to see their papers. They should also wear harness etc. when working to show that they are on duty. If they don’t, I think you’d be justified in saying no. If they do, you would be on a sticky wicket refusing entry.

All of that is assuming you have a dedicated searchroom (or at least, that users are consulting documents in a space outwith the archive store – e.g. the archivist’s office). Stores tours would be a different matter. We share our premises with the museum service, and have very strict biosecurity rules: anything coming into the building has to be frozen before it can go into the stores. Can’t risk collections-eating beasties getting into the costume or biology stores! Even letting human visitors into the stores can be a risk – I don’t see that we could ever justify allowing an assistance animal in (and I’m not sure I’d dare even suggest it within earshot of our Conservation team…) That goes a long way beyond ‘reasonable adjustments’.

Best wishes

Rachel