I've been in IT for over fifty years (first software 1967, first Internet
usage 1975) but have never heard the word 'artefact' used in this sense.

Only as a pixellation fault, such as you see on the telly when the signal
is bad, because the decompression lacks data.

--
Christopher Dawkins
Garnetts Corner, Jollyboys Lane North, Felsted, Dunmow, Essex  CM6 3DU