Dear colleagues,

please see below our CfP for our panel at the upcoming SIEF2019 congress in Santiago de Compostela, Spain, 14-17 April 2019.

Exploring the intersections between translocal living practices and infrastructural changes

Short abstract

Transformations of technology and infrastructure have re-configured space and also strongly impacted everyday life over the recent decades. Translocality is a key feature of these changes. In this panel, we will explore how translocality and infrastructure intersect on the level of everyday life.

Long abstract

The re-figuration space (Knoblauch/Löw 2017) through the development of infrastructural systems is one of the megatrends that have been shaping the world in the recent decades. This improvement and expansion of infrastructures of communication and transport has enabled - and sometimes requires - new practices, mobilities, subjectivities, as well as new forms of social interaction. Translocality (Greiner/Sakdapolrak 2013) is a key characteristic of these changes.

This panel will explore the intersecting of translocality and im/material infrastructures in everyday life. Following Easterling (2015: 68), we understand infrastructures as interfaces connecting places, people, and practices. We want to reflect on people's interactions with them, among which are material structures like streets, railways, and other parts of the built environment, but also less visible but nonetheless important facets of infrastructure like navigation technologies or communication software.

Literature exists on the relationship between infrastructure and people's social interactions, struggles, and livelihoods (Angelo/Hentschel 2015; Graham/McFarlane 2014), on how infrastructural standards shape the built environment (Easterling 2014), and on how to study infrastructure ethnographically (Star 1999). We welcome contributions that build on these approaches and explore connections between infrastructure and translocality, like papers on

-their roles in the development of new subjectivities,

-how translocal everyday practices are enabled or hampered by infrastructures and the conflicts arising in these contexts,

-the reinterpretation of infrastructures' intended use in everyday life,

-translocal processes of the (social) production of infrastructures,

-and other papers on everyday practices mirroring grander socio-economic transformations that are mediated by infrastructures.

Please note that you can submit papers through the official website of SIEF only and not via email. The deadline is the 15.10.2018. In case you want to propose a paper for our panel, please do use the link on the bottom of this page: https://nomadit.co.uk/sief/sief2019/conferencesuite.php/panels/7162/

With best regards,

Lucas Elsner, Gertrude Saxinger, and Lauri Turpeinen

Dr. Gertrude Saxinger (Eilmsteiner)

Department for Social and Cultural Anthropolgy, University of Vienna & APRI - Austrian Polar Research Institute
Universtitaetsstr. 7/C412, 1010 Vienna, AT // [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> // +43 660 2118551 //
www.polarresearch.at/faculty/group-eilmsteiner-saxinger<http://www.polarresearch.at/faculty/group-eilmsteiner-saxinger>
https://ksa.univie.ac.at/saxinger-gertrude/

Adjunct researcher at Yukon College, Canada
ReSDA Project "LACE Labour Mobility and Community Participation in the Extractive Industries - Yukon"
www.resda.ca/labour-mobility<http://www.resda.ca/labour-mobility>

[Mobile_Workers_Guide_SM]    [Cover_2016-jep HGS]    [cover SaE]
[Böhlau Cover]    [Arktis_ewr_24_cover_klein_NEU]

* A postgraduate project comprising online journal,    *
* online discussions, teaching and research resources  *
* and international contacts directory.               *
* To join this list or to look at the archived previous       *
* messages visit:                                             *
* https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/Anthropology-Matters   *
* If you have ALREADY subscribed: to send a message to all    *
* those currently subscribed to the list,just send mail to:   *
*       Enjoyed the mailing list? Why not join the new        *
*       CONTACTS SECTION @ www.anthropologymatters.com        *
*    an international directory of anthropology researchers *

To unsubscribe please click here:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=ANTHROPOLOGY-MATTERS&A=1