So these were starlink apps running in the terminals? Do you know specifically which starlink apps?

David

On Wed, 22 Aug 2018, 07:23 Tom Marsh, <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
I was just showing a student some starlink software (pamela) on his laptop when the fan started whirring continuously. Turned out that he had killed some terminals without killing the program running inside them first, and then the latter started chewing up 100% CPU. 5 of these and the poor laptop got quite hot. I remember exactly this issue under linux 15 years ago but thought it had been cured. It sounds like the program does not handle the kill signal from the terminal or something.

His OS was MACOS High Sierra 10.13.6

All OK if one simply ctrl-Cs out of the programs first

tom