I'm not actually sure what fslstats reports, but I suspect the results you
are getting relate to how it handles NaNs.  If SPM  tries to generate a
warped image and needs to sample a voxel that does not exist, then it will
assign a value of NaN (not a number) if possible.  This indicates that the
value is totally unknown.

Different software behaves differently with NaNs.  For example, if a
program to compute the mean of a series of numbers is presented with values
of 1, NaN and 3, then the desired output is probably (1+3)/2 = 2.  However,
if it has not been coded to ignore NaNs, then it will give (1+NaN+3)/3 =
NaN.

Best regards,
-John

--