Thanks Jane; and thanks to all the SEDA contributions. A very useful discussion.

Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2018 at 12:02 PM
From: "Jane Roberts" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: online teaching for PG Certs?
Thanks Linda, can I add "also D4" to your first sentence?  I would argue that the strength of the UKPSF is that it has been drafted to meet a wide range of roles, from those who teach face to face, to those who teach online, and including also those who support student learning indirectly.  As long as the practice falls within the Areas of Activity, it counts!  So trying to pin it down to one mode of teaching (face-to-face) is as problematic as trying to pin it down to one discipline.  For example, face to face in Chemistry is arguably as different to face-to-face in Philosophy or Nursing as f2f and online would be in these subjects.  What counts within an application for FHEA are the transferable skills  -  a sound understanding of how students learn, of the importance of careful LTA planning and QA/QE, student-centredness etc., etc.  The application process teases these out through the matching of practice to the dimensions of practice.  So anyone understanding these in the context of f2f should be able to apply them when teaching online  -  and vice versa!

Best wishes, Jane

(Jane Roberts PFHEA, Former Academic Lead, Applaud, The Open University)