Fiona

This is a difficult one - and while programmes and Advance HE would both
want, and claim to be inclusive, many people running and assessing
programmes will argue that the UKPSF descriptor for D2 is difficult to
evidence without evidence of f-f teaching in a traditional context.  It is
one of a number of examples, including PBL facilitation, supervision,
Master's level seminars etc which causes these problem and raises the
question.

It is partly a problem with the lack of clarity about the function of the
UKPSF,  If it was like a teaching qualification - a licence to teach then
it would be clearer, but it isn't.  In the past I have said to people who I
have observed doing one of those types of session that I am happy to agree
that they can teach in that context but that I have not seen evidence of
them being able to teach across the board - a bit like passing the driving
test in an automatic car, with a request that they come back to talk to me
if they ever have to teach a large undergraduate class for example.  If the
UKPSF is a quality assurance mechanism then we have a problem with someone
who has no experience in the main form of teaching in HE (lecturing f-f)
being able to claim competency in delivering teaching and facilitating
learning.

Often in my experience it does not come up at the point of admission - but
when there are requirements in coursework, or teaching observations that
can't be met.

Hope that helps

David

*David Andrew*   Individual and Organisational Psychologist, Educational
development, Consultancy and Coaching
<http://facebook.com/dandrew> <http://plus.google.com/u/0/+DavidAndrew52>
<http://twitter.com/acprac> <http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidandrew52/>
<http://www.researchgate.net/profile/David_Andrew4/info>
Phone: *0208 144 6753* <0208 144 6753>
Email: *[log in to unmask]* <[log in to unmask]>
Website: *mcraeandrew.co.uk* <http://mcraeandrew.co.uk>
Website: *academic-practice.blogspot.com*
<http://academic-practice.blogspot.com>
[image: photo]