PLEASE NOTE: When you click 'Reply' to any message it will be sent to all RAMESES List members. If you only want to reply to the sender please remove [log in to unmask] from the 'To:' section of your email.

Hi Lærke, Quique and realist friends ...

This is a good and important question.  I have a couple of suggested papers at the end that should help.

But first, it's worth noting that the stage of intervention Development within the (2008) MRC Guidance on Developing and Evaluating Complex Interventions is the stage of research in which the guidance most explicitly says that "Identifying/developing appropriate theory" is needed (viz. "... a vitally important and early task is to develop a theoretical understanding of the likely process of change, ...").  Secondly, one of the enduring insights from Ray Pawson's articulation of doing realist research and evaluation is that (causal) programme theory has to map onto and impinge upon the (causal) paths and theory of the underlying problem(s) that at programme aims to ameliorate.  Or put another way, programme theory which is only about how the components of an intervention together foster particular mechanisms of action, but does not extend and closely map onto the supposed causal pathways, problems, capacities/resources and capabilities of those systems/people being targeted by the intervention, is unlikely to lead to the design of an effective intervention.

I wonder if the following two articles might be useful:

Pawson R, Wong G, Owens L. Known Knowns, Known Unknowns, Unknown Unknowns: The Predicament of Evidence-Based Policy.

American Journal of Evaluation 2011; 32(4): 518-546

https://doi.org/10.1177/1098214011403831

They assess whether there is sufficient evidence to justify banning smoking in cars carrying children. And, in the absence of an existing intervention/policy, they and seek evidence to test steps and key assumptions in the implied programme theory.  They empirically and theoretically explore – “what would need to be the case for this policy to work?”

M. Pearson, S. L Brand, C. Quinn, J. Shaw, M. Maguire, S. Michie, S. Briscoe, C. Lennox, A. Stirzaker, T. Kirkpatrick, Byng R.  Using realist review to inform intervention development: methodological illustration and conceptual platform for collaborative care in offender mental health. Implementation Science 2015, 10:134

https://doi.org/10.1186/s13012-015-0321-2

Conflict of interest: I am part of this project and am privileged to work with quite a few of the authors; in my opinion, it’s still the most thoroughly impressive use of realist approaches to build and design an intervention directly from knowledge about the nature and underlying theory of the problem/setting to be tackled.

Best wishes

Rob