Dear Stefanie and Radixers,

I am, and I feel that Gunnar Hagman, Anders Wijkman and Lloyd Timberlake are pleased to see the cycle of disasters and its follow ups deliberately places inside and outside silos being phased out by more and more people. The calls for reducing the risk to populations and their associated economic and social infrastructure from natural hazard events created by development have a history going back some 35 years in development circles.

I believe that comments about mainstreaming risk reduction into development must also pass away. Risk to natural hazard events is part and parcel of creating, in the name of development or otherwise, the built environment. Presently most risk management takes place out of sight and out of mind of most of the population, and often this happens deliberately and for a profit motive. Add to this arrogance, ignorance, malice of intent, and holding other values than dealing with risk to natural hazards in higher regard, and one sees that behavior, not lack of science and technology, thwart and ignore risk reduction measures to most cases.

Steve Bender

“When a disaster has occurred, development agencies have regarded it as a nuisance and tried to avoid becoming involved; or even worse, the risk of existing or new potential hazards has been over-looked in the planning and implementation of some development activities.  It is now being observed that intensive development may be the cause of many new disasters in poor countries.”  Gunnar Hagman 1984

“. . . most disaster problems are unsolved development problems.  Disaster prevention and mitigation is thus primarily an aspect of development.”

Anders Wijkman and Lloyd Timberlake 1984