From: British Black Studies [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Kehinde Andrews [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 01 August 2018 17:24
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Support the Marcus Garvey Education for Education Centre

Support the Marcus Garvey Education for Education Centre

The Harambee Organisation for Black Unity is raising funds to open a centre for education in Handsworth Birmingham

Donate at www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/marcusgarveycentre?utm_term=k54WnJ46q

In 1974 the Harambee Organisation started the Marcus Garvey Nursery in Handsworth, Birmingham. It was one of the first Black led nurseries in the UK educating countless children until it closed in 2008. As has happened to far too many community organisations, Harambee was in serious financial difficulties and a new board was put in place to keep the organisation alive. After merging with the Organisation of Black Unity in 2017, Harambee OBU is now is the position to take work forward and build up the organisation.

Education is a central part of the work and we plan to house the education department of the Organisation in the Marcus Garvey Centre. We will continue the legacy of providing Black education in the space and use the building as a hub to bring the community together to discuss, plan and provide Black education from the early years through into adult learning. A space for Black education is so important because of the systemic inequalities that we face in the school system

We have started the work on the building and plan to have the ground floor of the building open soon. We have secured the building; ensured it is structurally sound; fixed the flooring; and work is underway on the electrics.

The funds raised here will be used to pay for plumbing to be installed in the building and plastering, so that we can open the building to the public. Once open we plan to engage the community in the space and deliver educational programmes.

Dr Kehinde Andrews

Associate Professor in Sociology

School of Social Sciences,

Curzon Building, C334

Birmingham City University

Curzon Street, Birmingham B4 7XG

United Kingdom

(+44) 121 331 5526

NEW book out July 2018 Back to Black: Retelling Black Radicalism for the 21st Century

Chair of Organisation of Black Unity

Co-Chair of Black Studies Association

Director of Centre for Critical Social Research

To unsubscribe from the BRITISHBLACKSTUDIES list, click the following link:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=BRITISHBLACKSTUDIES&A=1

To unsubscribe from the RACEINGEOGRAPHY list, click the following link:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=RACEINGEOGRAPHY&A=1