From: Race & Ethnicity Study Group (BSA) List [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of [log in to unmask] [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 15 August 2018 16:04
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [BSA-RACE] FW: Conference notification: State Racism: Policing, Institutional Collusion and Justice

Dear Friend,

The Monitoring Group, Tottenham Rights, Imran Khan Partners and the Centre for Crime and Justice Studies are delighted to announce a major two-day conference<https://www.crimeandjustice.org.uk/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=4471&qid=772847> that will explore the pervasive nature of racism in contemporary Britain and how we challenge the problem effectively and collectively.

The conference, to be held in London over the weekend of 13 - 14 October, will hear from over 30 activitists, spied on individuals, familiy members, whistleblowers, practitioners, researchers and politicians, including:

  *   David Lammy MP (Member of Parliament and author of The Lammy Review on criminal justice)
  *   Imran Khan QC (Human rights lawyer representing Doreen Lawrence and core participants in the Grenfell Inquiry)
  *   Gary Younge (Guardian journalist)
  *   Jenny Jones (Spied upon Green Party member and member of House of Lords)
  *   Janet Alder (Sister of Christopher Alder and justice campaigner)
  *   Sukhdev Reel (Mother of Ricky Reel and justice campaigner)
  *   Alistair Morgan (Brother of Daniel Morgan and justice campaigner)
  *   Peter Francis (ex-police officer turned whistle-blower)
  *   Neil Woods (ex-police officer turned whistle-blower)
  *   Deborah Coles (Executive Director of Inquest)
  *   Phillipa Kaufmann QC (Lawyer representing core participants in the Undercover Policing Inquiry)

Why this conference is important

The current state of racism in the UK is alarming. There is no domain where racism does not prevail: at the workplace, in schools and universities, on the streets, within public and private institutions.

Race issues are either pathologised or trivialised by the media. The impetus to tackle the problem systematically, driven by the revelations during the Lawrence Inquiry and its recommendations, is failing. The alarming rise in hate crimes witnessed during and after the Brexit campaign have not receded and the far right are a growing threat across Europe.

  *   Are we travelling backwards, to a place where challenges to institutional and state racism have become sidelined?
  *   Despite decades of struggle (containing some notable victories), why do large sections of our communities still find themselves facing chronic economic hardship?
  *   Why are Black and Brown communities still facing social exclusion?
  *   Why are communities targeted, spied upon and labeled collectively as ‘suspect communities’, our youth often demonised but no one in authority is held to account?
  *   And what of the hard fought human and social rights? Will they be preserved in Post-Brexit Britain?

With conference fees starting from £10 for the two days, we are working hard to make this conference as accessible as possible to those who want to attend.

Find out more about the conference, and register your place today, here: www.crimeandjustice.org.uk/state-racism-conference-2018<https://www.crimeandjustice.org.uk/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=4472&qid=772847>.

Can you help spread the word?

We want as many people as possible to know about this important event. Please do share the news among your friends and contacts and spread the word.

Thank you and we hope to see you October.

Suresh Grover
Director
The Monitoring Group

Richard Garside
Director
Centre for Crime and Justice Studies

To update your communications preferences, click here<https://www.crimeandjustice.org.uk/civicrm/gdpr/comms-prefs/update?reset=1&cid=11669&cs=b87dbed8dd68cabf2472da8887e12d79_1534332726_168>.

Centre for Crime and Justice Studies
2 Langley Lane
London, SW8 1GB
United Kingdom

This Email list is maintained by the BSA Race & Ethnicity Study Group. Visit the BSA website for further information about the group: https://www.britsoc.co.uk/groups/study-groups/race-ethnicity-study-group/