To ensure that this newsletter is delivered to your inbox, add
[log in to unmask] to your address book.

Logo
Latest news from Plus magazine - http://plus.maths.org

Stay in touch with Plus

Follow Plus on Twitter and Facebook!

Maths in a minute

Want facts and want them fast? Our Maths in a minute series explores key mathematical concepts in just a few words. From symmetry to Euclid's axioms, and from binary numbers to the prosecutor's fallacy, learn some maths without too much effort.

Visit the Maths in a minute library!

Support Plus - make a difference to mathematics

Plus is free for all, but to support our activities we depend entirely on donations and grants from organisations and individuals who share our commitment to making a difference to mathematics education and
engagement.

If you'd consider supporting Plus we'd be very grateful. Your generosity has a real impact, helping Plus to continue reaching millions of readers worldwide.

Support Plus!

The ICM 2018

Image

The International Congress of Mathematicians (ICM), which takes place every four years, is the biggest maths conference of them all, attracting thousands of participants, and also sees the awards of some very prestigious prizes, including the famous Fields medals.

The ICM 2018 took place in Rio de Janeiro at the beginning of August. We were lucky enough to be there, to interview some of the prize winners and other mathematicians who took part, and to cover their work. You can see all the articles, podcasts and videos we have produced at the congress here.

See our coverage of the ICM 2018!

READ MORE

Latest news

Image

Inspiring the next generation
How do you discover and nurture young mathematical talent in a way that crosses geographic and socio-economic boundaries? Brazil seems to have found an answer that reached nearly 18 million students.

Clocking the schedule
The way many football leagues schedule their fixtures can lead to unfair effects — and unsolved maths problems!

READ MORE

Latest articles

Image

How to tame uncertainty
How to get a grip on the uncertainties involved in the mathematical models modern life relies on.

Maths and politics
Mathematicians like to think that their field transcends politics, but as this brief history of 20th century international mathematics shows, it has always been coloured by world events.

Citizen science: Schumann resonances
Resonant electromagnetic waves, created by lightning flashes, circle the Earth. We explore the maths and show how you can keep track of these phenomena.

Spider solitaire
Spider solitaire is a popular online game. But are users right in their suspicion that some programs are rigged?

READ MORE

Can maths exist if we can't see it?

Image

Unlike physicists, mathematicians don't need to "see" something to be certain it exists. Many mathematical proofs show that a mathematical object exists by logical necessity, without actually constructing them. Are these proofs really as valid as constructive proofs? And what happens if you try and avoid them?

Find out with this collection of articles, videos and podcasts!

READ MORE

The limits of observation

Image

Physics is all about observation, but how much can we actually see? These articles explore some of the limits of observation — be they natural, scientific, political, or down to the jelly-like quantum nature of reality.

Visit our Limits of observation package!

READ MORE

If you have any comments on this newsletter, or Plus Magazine, please contact us at [log in to unmask] - we are always happy to hear from our readers!

Feel free to forward this email to anyone you think might be interested.

Happy reading!

You are subscribed to Latest news from Plus Magazine. To unsubscribe, visit:
https://JISCMAIL.AC.UK/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=PLUS-ANNOUNCE&A=1

http://plus.maths.org

To unsubscribe from the PLUS-ANNOUNCE list, click the following link:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=PLUS-ANNOUNCE&A=1