Dear Colleagues,

This is a question for list members from science and technology disciplines. I have been told in an off-list letter that there is an off-list discussion among list members who share backgrounds in science and technology.

The person who sent me this communication stated that people with a scientific or technical background avoid posting on the PhD-Design list because doing so subjects them to attacks on the list and off by people from an art and design background.

Coming myself from the social sciences, I am curious to know if this is so.

If you come from a scientific or technical background and you avoid posting to the list for fear of personal attacks from people in the traditional art and design disciplines, I would like to hear from you. I’d like to know who you are, what your background is, and what you do now. This information will remain confidential. I will gather the cumulative data and post it to the list on Thursday, August 30.

If you want to make a statements about why you avoid posting to the list, I will include your statement while protecting your identity.

My sole interest is to hear from people from a scientific or technical background who *avoid* posting to the PhD-Design list due to fear of personal attacks by people from an art and design background.

Please let me hear from you.

Yours,

Ken

Ken Friedman, Ph.D., D.Sc. (hc), FDRS | Editor-in-Chief | 设计 She Ji. The Journal of Design, Economics, and Innovation | Published by Tongji University in Cooperation with Elsevier | URL: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/she-ji-the-journal-of-design-economics-and-innovation/

Chair Professor of Design Innovation Studies | College of Design and Innovation | Tongji University | Shanghai, China ||| Email [log in to unmask] | Academia http://swinburne.academia.edu/KenFriedman | D&I http://tjdi.tongji.edu.cn