Fellow New Media Curators and Crumb List participants,

I’d like to share the details of an upcoming workshop session which I hope will be of interest to users of these lists.

This year at ARS Electronica, FutureEverything are running a participative roundtable discussion on the notion of Trust within the ecology of the Internet of Things. We have invited expert practitioners, artists, curators and industry pioneers to share relevant knowledge and practice, then work with the participants in the room to engage with some of the ever more visible social and societal challenges implicit in the new data economy.

We would love for you to be there.

When: Thursday 6th September 2018, 13:30 – 16:30

Where: ARS Electronica 2018, at POSTCITY. Linz, Austria.

Details:

Future Sessions: Trust in Invisible Agents

Expert Workshop Series on Internet of Things, at ARS Electronica 2018

The annual Ars Electronica festival in Linz, is a gathering of artists, scientists and technologists, intended as "a setting for experimentation, evaluation and reinvention". This year it boasts over 500 separate events and more than a thousand presenters. At this year’s festival FutureEverything will be delivering a roundtable discussion as part of Create-IoT (a Horizon 2020 project).

“Join us in an interactive conversation around ideas of transparency, clarity, ethics and governance within the realm of the Internet of Things. This roundtable session positions artistic intervention as a practical and conceptual toolset to challenge current thinking and explore possible futures.”

The roundtable is hosted by award winning innovation lab and cultural agency, FutureEverything, and led by expert cross-disciplinary panellists from the intersections of arts and technology, culture and business. This roundtable café will create a rich experience for all the participants, be they invited expert or casual attendee.

This is an opportunity to consider and test new methods to interrogate social impacts of your practice. In the light of heightened awareness of privacy and security concerns (such as the deployment of GDPR), and to engage with the discussion around transparency and ethics, it is more important than ever to ensure that we branch out of our own echo chambers. At the core of our work is the notion that arts practice is a viable toolset to explore these challenges.

Who can attend?

The event is open to any delegate of ARS Electronica with either a festival pass or a one day pass for the 6th September.
More details are available at this link: https://ars.electronica.art/error/en/iot-trust/

Draft Schedule:

13:30-14:30

Scene-setting introduction and panellist provocations (Workshop Space)

Introduction from moderator Drew Hemment, followed by Lightning Talks (5m - 10m each), speaker order as below.

14:30-16:00       Roundtable: Using a method based on the World Café, all participants split into groups and engage in short discussions with the expert witnesses. Each of the four tables take on one of the key topics: transparency, clarity, ethics and governance. Groups of participants move between tables, engaging with the topics, through the lens of a concrete, tailored example.
(Workshop Space & FIS Tables)

16:00-16:30

Presentation of results and wrap-up discussion (Workshop Space)
Moderator: Irini Papadimitriou

Expert Panel:

Drew Hemment, Founder, FutureEverything

Kasia Molga, Artist, Design Fusionist

Alexander Berlin, Startup developer, investment adviser, business models expert.

Giulia Tomasello, Artist, STARTS Prize winner 2018

Dr J. Martin Serrano, Research / Data Scientist.

Irini Papadimitriou, Curator, Digital Programmes Manager, V&A

About FutureEverything:

For more than two decades FutureEverything has explored the meeting point of technology, society and culture which lies at the heart of the digital debate. Through a community network and regular events it makes connections between thinkers, developers, coders, artists, designers, urbanists and policy makers – inspiring them to experiment and to collaborate in new ways.

Thank you for reading this far,

Jason

Dr Jason Crouch

email: jason @ heaven . co . uk