Federation Welsh Museum Conference

Consultation

Dear Colleagues

The Federation is currently looking at the arrangements for our 2019
conference. After last year’s conference, the committee discussed the level
of attendance from local authority museums, which had fallen to a 7 year
low.

While the conference has been well attended and reached venue capacity, it
is important that we develop a conference that will attract representation
from all types of museums in Wales. I would be grateful if you could spend a
few moments to provide some feedback, particularly if you have not attended
the conference in recent years. Our intention is to use your feedback in
developing the 2019 conference.

Is location an issue for you?

We have held the conference in The Cardiff Story for several years, as it is
relatively accessible particularly by regular public transport for both
audience and speakers. Cardiff also has good transport links. The Cardiff
Story can provide a suitable space for up to 60 people as well as the
necessary facilities.

Should the conference move around Wales? Should it always be held in a
museum? Would you attend more often if it was held in your region?

Is the format and theme an issue for you?

The conference is only for one day to keep costs low, but that places a
limit on networking. Often people leave before the end to catch a suitable
train. We engage keynote and expert speakers as well as drawing on expertise
from within the Welsh museum community.  Themes are suggested and developed
by the committee and Development Officer.

Should the conference be held over two or more days or is one day enough?
Have the themes been useful and appropriate? Is the structure for the
conference the right one?

Is cost an issue for you?

Last year the conference cost £30 which included refreshments and lunch.
Grants are available from the Federation. Has your conference and travel
budget been deleted, so you are not allowed to travel? Would it help if we
called the event something other than a “conference”? Do you want to attend
but cannot as you are not allowed to travel outside of your council
boundaries?

Please supply some feedback to the above questions by the 10th September.

Yours

Chris

Chris Delaney

Development and Grants Officer