Hi Stephen

Your research sounds very interesting! With regards to your penultimate bullet point, you might get some good data from the Responsible Metrics State of the Art survey we’re currently running (quick plug – available here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/7XKXDHK) With regards to the metrics questions it would be interesting to see how many institutions feel able to share this sort of information.  It is not something our PVCR has been keen on.  However, I can say that we use indicators at university, department and individual level to monitor publication strategy, and the ‘inherent pitfalls’ are addressed through our responsible metrics policy available at http://www.lboro.ac.uk/research/scholcomms/assessment/respmetrics/ .

Good luck!
Lizzie

From: A bibliometrics discussion list for the Library and Research Community <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Bland, Stephen J
Sent: 08 August 2018 10:33
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: The use of citation metrics to assess institutional performance

Hello All,

I am doing some light touch qualitative research into which Citation metrics are used to monitor performance, not necessarily at an individual level, but when trying to interpret the performance of your institution against the sector or a benchmark group at both the subject (/department) level and at the institutional level.

I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share with me any details around the following topics:

  *   Which metrics your institution uses to assess performance in the sector / against a benchmark group / year on year changes?
  *   Are these at the institutional AND subject levels (or perhaps department level)?
  *   How much importance does your institution place on these metrics, i.e. is it a key piece of analysis/key performance indicator or simply an additional piece of information, or perhaps whilst citations may be looked at, they have little importance at your institution?
  *   Does your institutions set targets or aspirations on these? (I would not expect you to divulge what those targets are, just if you have them in general).
  *   Given the inherent pitfalls of trying to assess your performance against others when it comes to citations, have you done anything to mitigate this, such as creating bespoke groups in a system, or carefully selecting a benchmark group solely for considering citation performance?
  *   If you have or are developing a statement on responsible metrics, has this shaped or re-shaped your approach to the use of citation metrics?
  *   Has your monitoring of citations through the metrics (using systems such as SciVal) helped inform areas you can target to improve, and if so how did that shape your approach to enhancing citation yield (assuming that was your goal)?

In exchange, I of course would be happy to discuss the approaches we currently take here at the University of Essex also, and share some of my findings should you wish to see them also.

Many thanks for your time.
Kind regards
Stephen Bland BSc (Hons)

Research Information and Data Insights Officer
Research and Enterprise Office
University of Essex

T: 01206 874711
► www.essex.ac.uk<http://www.essex.ac.uk/>