I love the scope of these! They're thought-provoking and relevant to the kinds of things students question.  I think the danger of using very literary quotations about writing in particular is that the kind of writing they tend to focus on is so far removed from what many students do and care about that they are the opposite of inspiring - imagine an engineering student with a report to write who's faced with something flowery and shakespearian about the joys of literature or literary reading - it's possibly going to be more alienating than inspiring and maybe make them think that these learning or writing developers are on some other ethereal plane with more idealistic concerns than relate to the student's mundane situation. I love that the ones on this list are literary but also practical, grounded and validating the kind of dark thoughts that many students - and staff - have about writing, and show that they're not alone!

as another medievalist, I'm going to offer Nicholas of Cusa: “For even he who is most greedy for knowledge can achieve no greater perfection than to be thoroughly aware of his own ignorance in his particular field. The more be known, the more aware he will be of his ignorance.”