Dear colleagues,

We are still looking for a candidate for a 3-year fully-funded PhD studentship in GIScience/Movement ecology.

The project is funded by the Leverhulme Trust and is a collaboration between the University of St Andrews, Scotland, UK and the Max Planck Institute for Ornithology (MPIO) in Radolfzell, Germany. It will use robotic surveys and agent-based modelling to explore how migratory birds use the information in the Earth’s magnetic field to find their way during their long journeys. This is primarily a data science project, however, the work will be fully informed with biological knowledge through the collaboration with MPIO.

Funding includes a maintenance stipend to cover living costs and UK/EU tuition fees, plus additional funding for research and conference travel as part of the project. The studentship starts on 27 October 2018.

We are looking for an excellent candidate with an interest in movement analytics and an MSc in GIScience/ Geoinformatics, Remote Sensing, Ecology, Mathematics, Statistics or Data Science.

More info here: https://wp.me/p4PBDq-4V

Application DL had been extended to 1 Sept 2018.

Note that this opportunity is limited to UK/EU citizens.

I would appreciate if you could, please, forward this ad to any MSc students of yours who might be interested. Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Urska Demsar.

Dr Urska Demsar
Senior Lecturer in Geoinformatics
School of Geography & Sustainable Development
University of St Andrews, Scotland, UK
@udemsar, http://udemsar.com