HI Adam

Can’t help with a copyright agreement I’m afraid - doesn’t your illustrator have something as this kind of thing must come up all the time in his/her line of work. But one important point to ponder is that your illustrator may well want to use the stuff they’ve created for you as part of their portfolio and on websites and other social media to promote their business. This is reasonable, and any kind of copyright agreement you come to must allow for this. Another thing is that your illustrator might, in all innocence, create something similar for another client and this might be seen as a breach of copyright in your illustrations.

I’m not sure that, if I were an illustrator, (I’m not, I design and make interactive exhibits) I’d be that happy about giving away my copyright in any of my work. I think I’d be happier granting my clients an exclusive licence to use the work for agreed purposes to protect me from any claims that I’d breached copyright by producing something similar for another job. There’s also the point that if I give my copyright to you then if you want changes made to any of my work you are free to get them made by whoever you like, but if I own the copyright you’ve got to come back to me.

I know I’m in a different game, but I don’t give away (or sell) copyright in any of my designs or finished exhibits, because I need to be free to use and adapt any of my work for future jobs.

Hope this helps

Richard.

Richard Ellam
L M Interactive