Properly eroded WM and CSF mask timeseries are not effective for denoising.  ICA-based noise component removal is a better approach.

Matt.

From: FSL - FMRIB's Software Library <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> on behalf of Maarten Mennes <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Date: Thursday, August 16, 2018 at 7:19 AM
To: "[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>" <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Subject: Re: [FSL] motion regressors and ICA-AROMA

Hi Ben,

if you regress out WM and CSF after ICA-AROMA you will not need to regress out the noise components anymore. If you apply AROMA we do not recommend regressing out the motion parameters, this is not needed anymore in that case.

Regressing out WM and CSF prior to your 1st level model (without including any variables of interest) would be classified as aggressive denoising.

Cheers,
Maarten

On Mon, Aug 13, 2018 at 9:19 PM Ben M <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:
Hi Maarten,

Thank you for your help!

| You would feed the denoised subject-space data into any further (nuisance) regression you would carry out. You could choose to do WM, CSF first, and then run your 'real' model, or include CSF and WM in your model.

If I decide to regress out WM and CSF first before running my real model, I will not need to regress out the ICA noise components as well, right? I think it's common to regress out motion regressors as well, that's why I'm asking.

| That choice goes back to the aggressive vs. non-aggressive denoising.

Would regressing out WM and CSF prior to the 1st level model be a type of aggressive or non-aggressive denoising?

Thanks,
Ben

--
Maarten Mennes, Ph.D.