FSL experts,

We are trying to figure out if we can use EPI field maps collected for functional data to correct EPI distortions on DW data after running eddy, with the end goal of doing probabilistic tractography.

Our DTI acquisition included one b0 at the beginning, along with 30 DW volumes, acquired A > P, no blip-up blip-down, thus running top up is not an option. We collected AP & PA fieldmaps intended for functional data, followed by 25 minutes of functional data collection, before collecting DTI scans for each participant, and we want to use these field maps to correct our diffusion data as well if possible. We used a Siemens scanner for our acquisition.

Our MR physicist has advised against doing this, saying these field maps would introduce artifacts into our DTI analysis, but after reading other posts on the forum we think this would be a viable option? Our basic understanding is that after running eddy we could use fsl_prepare_fieldmap to prepare a magnitude image from the fieldmaps and register it to the b0 of our diffusion data, which would then be applied to the DW images. Would this be accurate?

Thank you,

Josh