Hello,

1) This procedure sounds dangerously circular: If your whole brain analysis had shown significant activation in the ROI ( e.g. the thalamus ) would you still have run the ROI-based analysis? It’s always better to decide on the choice of masks etc before running any statistics.

2) Randomise is running a linear regression on your data, generating p-values from an empirically determined null-distribution of a particular test-statistic ( here TFCE ). These could be transformed to partial correlation co-efficients if you want to report those.

3) You are free to choose any mask you want, although as mentioned in 1) the choice of ( e.g. ) a thalamus mask should be made before running a whole brain analysis.

Hope this helps,
Kind Regards
Matthew
Dr Matthew Webster