Hi Max,

It's a bit hard to see the headers are for each of the EVs in the first
design but it seems to me that that is the one you want. That is, all
between-subject factors are modelled by the subject-specific EVs (EV8
onwards in your design), whereas EVs 1 through 7 model differences between
the various conditions, main and interactions.

These two give different results because they model the responses in very
different ways. The 2nd design doesn't take care of the between-subject
variability.

All the best,

Anderson